03 January 2021

President Schill to Jennifer Freyd on 14 December 2020

From: Mike Schill
Sent: Monday, December 14, 2020 1:58 PM
To: Jennifer Freyd
Subject: RE: From Jennifer Freyd to Mike Schill

Dear Jennifer, 

I appreciate your reaching out to me and I hope that you are doing well during these difficult times. 

Thank you for sharing your information about the recent department analyses regarding pay equity.  I will forward your email to the Office for Investigations and Civil Rights Compliance for that group’s review.  I want to ensure that it has a full opportunity to consider the concerns you have raised and can evaluate it with the methodology the University has adopted in compliance with Oregon’s recent statutory changes on compensation.  Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Second, I do understand and sympathize that the decisions whether to accept the early retirement incentive are complicated, and particularly so in your individual situation.  It is, of course, my expectation that you be treated the same as any other faculty member who is eligible to participate in the program, and it is my understanding that human resources and legal counsel are doing so.  Given the pending litigation, I believe it best to leave such conversations to counsel. In the meantime, I will reiterate my expectations with human resources that you have the information you personally need to make the right decision for yourself. 

Best wishes for the holidays.

Mike

Michael H. Schill
President and Professor of Law
University of Oregon

Prejudice, Discrimination, and Intentionality - December 2021 Update

On 15 March 2021 the Ninth Circuit revived my lawsuit, setting good precedent with their decision.  In July I accepted a $450,000 settlement...